Plan your day. Planning is everything when you are working from home or have had a change [ or interruption] in your normal routine. Plan the walks, feeding time, the potty breaks & the play time. Here is a sample routine from the days I stay in and work from home.
- Morning potty run. Happens around 6:30am Before I jump in the shower I take sunny & daisy out for their morning potty time, this is only if gabe is not available to take them as he normally is the one in charge of the morning potty run.
- Feeding Time. 7:00am We try to stick to a feeding schedule and feed the babies at the same time everyday to keep a flow of things as well as set expectations for them.
- Adult feeding time + coffee chats. 7:30am We have a quick bite. Gabe is the cook in our home so he is in charge of breakfast. We normally have breakfast & coffee around 7:30am right before we get our work day started.
- First potty break. 9:30am I take a quick walk to take sunny out for her first potty break of the day.
- Morning play time. 11:30am We take 15-20 minutes to give our entire attention to our babies. We either train [sunny] as she is still a puppy and is in the learning stages. Or we pet daisy, maybe rub her belly [she loves that]. We dedicate this time to play & love on our babies. It keeps our day rolling and motivates us to get back to work with a fresh mind.
- Quick break to stretch the legs & second potty break. 12:30pm & 2:30pm Usually my first part of my day is composed of a lot of sitting & admin work so it is super important to stretch my legs and not to stay seated too long. It has been a hard habit to control as I like to keep working non-stop for hours on end. Having the responsibility to take the dogs out for a break forces me to have a break, its a win win.
- Feeding Time. 4:30pm We take this time to feed the pups and feed ourselves. Again Gabe will prepare something delicious for us to eat.
- Nap Time. 5:00pm For the dogs that is. This is when the dogs take a long nap and gabe and I use this time to catch up on any work that needs to be finalized prior to ending our work from home day.
- Last potty break. 6:30pm This is the last potty break of the work day and normally gabe is the one that takes care of this one, unless he is out on a job then I take them out on a quick walk.
Working from home with pets: The survival guide.
November 8, 2020